Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pirate Radio - A Monumentally Mis-marketed Movie

So over Winter Break, this little movie came out called Pirate Radio. I had seen trailers for this movie on TV, and I would be lying if I told you that I had expected a Phillip Seymour Hoffman film when I went in. I knew that the movie was being marketed as such, and usually when a film is marketed as a Phillip Seymour Hoffman film, the target audience is an audience with more serious taste. However, this film could not have been more poorly marketed. What I got instead was a bunch of guys and one lesbian on a boat rockin' their socks off with Phillip Seymour Hoffman hanging around in every couple of scenes.

It was amazing...but it also has one of the most misleading trailers of all time.


Yes, from that it appears that "The Count" would be the main character when, in fact, the actor/character that I consider to be the main character was hardly in the trailer at all! And you know what that means, right? It means that you must go and WATCH the film for yourself to see it's true, fucking hilarious, magic. Because I'm an evil bitch, I'm going to give you a sneak peak - try to get you hooked.


I hope that you enjoy this movie, which, by the way, stars: Tom Sturridge, Nick Frost, Tom Brooke, Katherine Parkinson, Chris O'Dowd, Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Kenneth Branagh, Talulah Riley, Rhys Darby, Tom Wisdom, Jack Davenport and appearances by Gemma Arterton and Emma Thompson.

Have fun watching Pirate Radio...and when you're done, let me know what you think!

No comments: